Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Alexander (Day 10)

Early again, wow can't wait until the kids are teenagers. Head downstairs with L after spending some time bouncing her upstairs and thinking how cute little babies are and I should take a video of her. I check the e-mail and do the normal morning routine. Watch the usual two channels - hey maybe I should expand we have cable. S comes down and I head upstairs to get ready. On my way at the door, I check my e-mail and see that I have late notice from the San Antonio Public Library. Three weeks. WTF, this is my fault but hey a little notice earlier would have been nicer but no such luck. I get to work and write up today's to do list. I will write today.

Materials and Methods (mtDNA)

* Interpopulation
* Intrapopulation

2. Results (mtDNA)
3. Discussion and Conclusion (mtDNA)
4. References (mtDNA)
5. Trim the Hedge
6. Find Bindery for dissertation in S.A.
7. Chrm 9 Hrt Rate

* Run SNP covar (AZ, OK, All)
* Run SNP QTLD (AZ, OK, All)
* Run QTLD (DK, AZ, OK, All)

8. MAPP data

* Run polygenic screen on remaining sixteen variables
* Run bivariate on remaining sixteen variables

9. Dental Insurance Cards.

There is something wrong with the UNIX machine, it is not responding so I reboot. Now big time error and nothing is happening. Not good, this is a horrible no good day. Finally, hunt down the UNIX guru and he helps me get the SUN back up and running. OK now the PC is blue - reboot and it disappears. Not good. Well I need to run a few things so I go work on the UNIX - keep getting the same error but I work through it and get that started. UNIX dude is back and helps me fix the PC, because PC guy isn't around. It is now 11:30 so there went the morning. This is not a very good day so far. I'm moving to Australia.

So the afternoon has gone much smoother even though I'm still getting this "couldn't fork child process" error, um a programmer with a weird sense of humor. I'm not amused. Well I get to work on number 7 and get at least one of the qtld running properly. I also knock off number 1 off the list - yeah progress on the paper - tomorrow the results. Also do a little investigating on the dissertation binding and dental cards - no response. OK then but progress and progress is good.

Here is the one (no 2) things I checked out today.

Media Portrayals of Suicide - I realize this is morose but it has been actually on mind a little bit, being a suicide survivor (my eldest sister) I tend to be less sensitive to these things. Suicide is a major problem in the US but it often goes swept away as a dirty little secret or in the media people make flippant comments about it. There is this commercial on VH-I (its one of those trashy reality shows) where a women is talking about another contestant and then points here finger at her head like a gun and I find that extremely insensitive. We have a media that obsesses that President referred to it as insensitive but this is OK.

Gray wolf killed on road, Sasquatch allegedly seen near Alberton
- this one is just funny are they suggesting the animal was killed by bigfoot.

So I head home and sneak inside so the kids don't ambush me. They are playing a game where they are secret agents with the task of finding an invisible computer with a bomb inside it. J and I have a glass of wine from the night before. We chat about her day. We are looking at a school next year for S, its a charter school "Harmony Science Academy" - he seems to like the idea of going to a science orientated school and it is near where I work so I could drop him off. We have dinner, open faced chicken sandwiches with home made bread and peas. Very good. We go upstairs to give X a bath but I'm feeling a little dizzy. So I lay down for a little bit - get up go downstairs but am still not feeling well. I take C upstairs to sleep and crash out myself. X comes up around 9 and cuddles into next to me and goes to sleep as well. Good night horrible, no good, very rotten day. I dream of Australia.

No comments: