Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Subway (Day 11)

I'm up late today - 6:20 and the baby is still sleeping so I head down stairs and check the e-mail. J and L join me around 6:40. We watch a little VH1 and Today show - Matt hurt himself avoiding a deer in a bike race in New Jersey. How do you almost hit a deer on a bike? This is according to my sources - some Octamom thugs might have roughed up and he is just keeping it quite. OMG, she's on again - enough already, the state needs to step in take those kids before something tragic happens. OK off to work fueled up and ready to go. Nothing bad is going to happen today, truth through postive thinking.

Here is today's to do list.

1. Results (mtDNA)
  • Haplogroup Diversty
  • Population Statistics
  • Phylogenetic Analysis
  • Population Structure
2. Discussion and Conclusion (mtDNA)
3. References (mtDNA)
4. Trim the Hedge
5. Find Bindery for dissertation in S.A.
6. Chrm 9 Hrt Rate
  • Run SNP covar (AZ, All)
  • Run SNP QTLD (AZ, All)
  • Run QTLD (DK, AZ, OK, All)
7. MAPP data
  • Run polygenic screen on remaining sixteen variables
  • Run bivariate on remaining sixteen variables
8. Get Dental Insurance Cards.

I get to work and check on the stuff I've had running over night. Oh the power of genomic goodness. There looks like there maybe something of interest there. So I check that out and start running the SNP covar for the ALL group and check the other things. I need to run over to the admin building and get some dental insurance cards. I'm also hungry at about the same time J calls. I tell her I want a subway sandwich, which leads to us planning on having lunch together. Cool but she has to get gas, etc. and I have stuff to do. She calls back and we arrange a meeting time. We've become experts in logistics, a complete necessity when you have a large family.

I spend a good portion of my morning looking for a computer program that will make my life easier (WGAViewer), this allows me to check the positions of SNPs and if they may be important in genome function. Get that done, now just need to get PC guy to remote install it on my computer. Head off to subway to meet the family for lunch. It is just across the street but this is Texas so that requires like three U-turns. I'm not sure what Texans have against left-hand turns, oh wait the word left is in it. Meet up with fam and chow down. The boys are excellent, C has entered the terrible 2 stage and is very cheeky but it is easy to chase down one kid and not necessarily three. On the way out J points out I changed the wrong brake light - good thing I bought a two pack.

So back to work and everything is working smoothly. I cannot for the life of me find a book bindery in Texas, come on somebody has to bind books in this state. Looks like I'll need to learn to do it myself. The problem is I paid $65 for the one I sent to the department and that is just a little pricey for say 5 is $325, yikes. Anyway, so won't be doing that yet. Started writing again and got the first part knocked off the results and also moved to a different computer (virtually) and was able to get the AZ covar stuff running. Its nice to work in a place with a couple thousand processors to do your research. Talked to a co-author on a poster that she had seen the proofs for. Also checked in with J to see if she was surviving the onslaught of children that is her daily life. Did a last check of the programs running and got ready to head home.

I get home and put the other brake light in -so hopefully now I'm street legal. Go inside and crack open a beer - Pete's Strawberry Blonde. We're having chicken quesdillas for dinner - so I hang with L for a little bit. The other kids are upstairs, S has taken a box and turned into Hot Wheels stadium for his cars. He does love the cars - not as much as Po from Kung Fu Panda, which is his favorite toy. C girl is on a rampage - taking dishes and running around being very contray. After dinner, I decide on a course of action. J and the boys will head upstairs and I will get C into her PJs, give her some hot milk, and put her to sleep. I watch a little Keith Obermann - man he does not like Republicans, I also check out I the love the new Millenium - can we at least wait until the decade is over until we start nostalgizing the Bush years - besides they weren't very good for most people - 2 wars, Britney Spears, stagnant incomes, high debt, the rest of the world though poorly of the US, Puffy changed his name like five times. We shouldn't forget it but we should put some distance between it first. Its OK to nostalgize the 80s, I grew up with Reagan but at least the music was good. Speaking of which Spandau Ballet is getting back together. So True. I get C to sleep and head upstairs to give S his bath and play with X. We play camping in the desert with Cookie monster, Venom, a pirate, and a fireman. The other day X told me we were a family of pychotic super heroes - here are our aliases
  • Dad - Rubber Man
  • Mom - Awesome Mom
  • S - T-rex boy
  • X - Super X
  • C - Ninja Girl
  • L - Super sucker
S gets out of the bath, hot milk, stories, brush teeth, and bedtime. I go back downstairs and J and I watch the end of W. Not really a great movie - seems to have missed its mark on a number of points. The acting was OK but there is the whole nostalgia rant that I went above - maybe we should wait before we evaluate it. My main problem is that this movie was so neutral even though every one has an opinion about W - so why sugarcoat him. After that went upstairs, chatted with J a little bit and went to bed. Except L was being a little fussy - so went downstairs and fell asleep on the couch.

Some stuff I checked out today:

Earliest Evidence Of Domesticated Maize Discovered: Dates Back 8,700 Years - this is something I have long term interest in and was a subject of part of my dissertation (which you can find on-line here). Over the last ten years, there has been a tremendous rethinking of what we know about early agriculture in the Americas and why it was adopted. So this pushes the idea that maize was domesticated fairly early on and is contemporary to other places in the world. I'll have to download the article at some point and blog about it.

Genomic Fossils In Lemurs Shed Light On Origin And Evolution Of HIV And Other Primate Lentiviruses - I do like the genetic paleontology stuff, I've long thought that these molecular fossil viruses would provide insight into homnin evolution.

No comments: