Thursday, June 7, 2012

Goodbye Desk - Day 6

This desk has followed me around since the beginning of grad school. My uncle bought it at a garage sale somewhere in central Kansas and I picked up between my first two semesters of school. I thought I had left it behind in Kansas when we moved to Texas but somehow it found a way south to our new home. It wasn't damaged in the move like most everything else as it came on 2nd truck a year and half we moved. The desk served us well and has been useful but now it is time to let it go. Today, someone was supposed to drop by and pick it up but there may have been some miscommunication.

Today, was another busy day of trying to get things done and I learned a lot about GenABEL (R library) and Plink - both uber useful programs for doing GWAS (even though I'm not a big fan of it as the Common Disease Common Variant thing doesn't make a lot of sense to me, If solving heart disease was this easy - don't you think we would have picked up on it a long time ago and it wouldn't have remained the number one cause of death in the US for the last 50 years). OK off soapbox. J called me and let me know that g-ma and UE were with 3 hours. They drove down from Montreal in 2 1/2 days, which is impressive if not just a little bit crazy. So got home got everyone situated and went to sleep a little late.

No comments: