Thursday, June 2, 2011

2011 Resolution Roundup #5 - No May Flowers

Well despite Mother Natures best intentions at the end of last month, the rain did not come this month either and temps have been lingering in the mid to upper 90s for the last couple of weeks. This of course means we are under water restrictions again - so if any of you folks up north could send some rain it would be appreciated. Also, this month was fairly successful on this front as I finished up another article, two abstracts, and waiting back for reviews from one I finished the month before. It was also nice to be home again this month, as this month I'm off back to Kansas for a week - then back for the summer - then to Germany and Canada in the fall, provided those abstracts generate interest. So a busy couple of months as usual. The kids continue to sprout and X's reading is coming along really well whereas S is a math whiz but doesn't seem to really want to learn to read all that much - he prefers building and art. The girls are toddler girls, while L is baby obsessed C continues to try and keep up with the boys but has a hard time. 

Personal Fitness
1) Do P90X at least once this year: At the moment, I have taken what I liked from this and worked it into my own exercise regime - so basically I do Yoga once a week, plus two other hard cardio exercises and stretching to increase my flexibility. This is combined with jogging/mostly walking for three days and one day of rest each week.


2) Learn to Jog: I basically have well trodden path around the neighborhood, that right now I jog part of then walk briskly but not that speed walking because that is just weird.

Finance
3) Go to a cash-based only system for at least 3 months out of the year: So both these goals were complete failures this month but I did learn that some gas stations give pretty good discounts if you use cash as they don't like the credit card companies either. However, we don't write that many checks and the majority of bills we pay are automated so may not be the best thing - may still try it just to say I did it but I'm not sure it really works for us.


4) Don't eat out for at least 3 months of the year: We did OK on this for about two weeks, but my current love of Thai food knows no bounds so it is kind of an in between type thing. 

Professional
5) Publish an article from my Ph.D. dissertation: I'm actively working on one now, and then will probably spin off two others from this once it is done.
.

6) Organize a symposium for a meeting: I haven't really thought of this month and may can it..

Family:
7) Sunday Dinners: Since the heat, we have switched more or less to breakfast with everyone, then a light supper.

8) Spend one on one time with each child, each month: This month C and I went out and did some errands, then J and I both went and saw Thor.

Other
9) Begin writing a novel: The basic idea of this is to mix the lost Templar fleet (it disappeared the day before Philip the Fair of France arrested the rest on Friday, October 13th, 1307), the Americas, the secret reason behind Columbus' voyage, the rise of belief of quatzequatel in Mesoamerica, and the White City - a mythological city believed to be on the Caribbean coast of Central America, mixed in with some archaeology, anthropology, and piracy. Right now need to do some character development with various ideas.

10) Blog at least once a week: Not so great again, maybe in a little bit. One problem is I write all the damn time, so it makes writing for leisure a little less fun. Granted there is the Republican plan to remove the SBE section from NSF, which may require a post.

11) Read 13 Non-fiction books this year: The one I read this month was the Power of Full  Engagement. I will admit to an addiction to self-help books but this one was pretty good. I would recommend it and some of their suggestions to help and I have been more productive since implementing some of them.

Next month, the year will already be half over - amazing how fast it is going.
.

1 comment:

Adam said...

What? No speed walking?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6-SJLlneLc