It would appear odd to complain about the heat, when in the rest of the country it is probably snowing but the past month in San Antonio has been akin to living on the surface of the sun (again and it is only April - forgot the memo that it only supposed to be this hot in AUGUST!). Once again a fairly busy month as I traveled to the American Association of Physical Anthropologist meetings in Minneapolis, where it snowed and I gave a talk on the genetics of intima-media thickness (IMT) in Mexican Americans. My graduate adviser Professor Michael Crawford from KU won the Boas Award for is outstanding achievement in the field of Human Biology, which is well deserved. Aside this and the observation that Minneapolis is well situated for a potential zombie attack - the downtown is entirely interconnected by closed walkways. The only drawback to this meaning that after the apocalypse humanities future is dependent on Minnesotans, well at least they are a practical people.
After the meetings I was busy finishing a manuscript for my groups summary paper from GAW17 and am now writing another manuscript on genetics, IMT, and stroke risk in Mexican Americans. I was also invited to write a chapter on the genetics of bilirubin, where I learned fun stuff about glucuronidation or how the body gets rid of toxins of which bilirubin is key. On the home front, we had a mellow Easter hanging at home (thanks Auntie M) and having a Harry Potter movie marathon. X would probably now pass his O.W.L.S. at Hogwarts and he is only six. We also took the training wheels off of S.\'s bike and he now rides free (cousin A it his time to get S his cut and top rocker - watching far too much Sons of Anarchy). Here is a little video of Spencer taking off and me letting go, very proud moment for his Dad.
Personal Fitness
1) Do P90X at least once this year: So I'm going to admit falling of the wagon, with four weeks left to go. Went to Minneapolis, got sick, and fell of the exercise treadmill. I'm still exercising but am working on getting back into it but I'm going up to Lawrence in June so don't want to start it again until I have a full 90 days in a row free.
2) Learn to Jog: In the meantime, I may start jogging 2-3 times a week - I'm trying to exercise at least 20 minutes a day.
Finance
3) Go to a cash-based only system for at least 3 months out of the year: May will mark the first month of both this and not eating out. There are a few exemptions - bills - which are paid on-line, rent, and gas for Jennifer as she often have the kids with her and we are somewhat paranoid about leaving the kids in the car, especially now S and X can unbuckle themselves and take the mini-van for a joy-ride.
4) Don't eat out for at least 3 months of the year: See above.
Professional
5) Publish an article from my Ph.D. dissertation: I'm going to try and work on this in May as well - consider this month my resolution to resolutions month
.
6) Organize a symposium for a meeting: This may fall off but I have an idea that I need to toss around with some people first.
Family:
7) Sunday Dinners: Aside from Easter - this fell of as well this month.
8) Spend one on one time with each child, each month: S and I went out to lunch this month and purchased Easter Dinner. Unfortunately, X had his day cancelled with Mom because of a grave offense.
Other
9) Begin writing a novel: I have the idea - just need to start developing the characters more..
10) Blog at least once a week: Maybe May will be good for this also.
11) Read 13 Non-fiction books this year: I have a number of books on hand so this should be easy this month.
That is all for now, see you next month after the austerity month is over
.
After the meetings I was busy finishing a manuscript for my groups summary paper from GAW17 and am now writing another manuscript on genetics, IMT, and stroke risk in Mexican Americans. I was also invited to write a chapter on the genetics of bilirubin, where I learned fun stuff about glucuronidation or how the body gets rid of toxins of which bilirubin is key. On the home front, we had a mellow Easter hanging at home (thanks Auntie M) and having a Harry Potter movie marathon. X would probably now pass his O.W.L.S. at Hogwarts and he is only six. We also took the training wheels off of S.\'s bike and he now rides free (cousin A it his time to get S his cut and top rocker - watching far too much Sons of Anarchy). Here is a little video of Spencer taking off and me letting go, very proud moment for his Dad.
Personal Fitness
1) Do P90X at least once this year: So I'm going to admit falling of the wagon, with four weeks left to go. Went to Minneapolis, got sick, and fell of the exercise treadmill. I'm still exercising but am working on getting back into it but I'm going up to Lawrence in June so don't want to start it again until I have a full 90 days in a row free.
2) Learn to Jog: In the meantime, I may start jogging 2-3 times a week - I'm trying to exercise at least 20 minutes a day.
Finance
3) Go to a cash-based only system for at least 3 months out of the year: May will mark the first month of both this and not eating out. There are a few exemptions - bills - which are paid on-line, rent, and gas for Jennifer as she often have the kids with her and we are somewhat paranoid about leaving the kids in the car, especially now S and X can unbuckle themselves and take the mini-van for a joy-ride.
4) Don't eat out for at least 3 months of the year: See above.
Professional
5) Publish an article from my Ph.D. dissertation: I'm going to try and work on this in May as well - consider this month my resolution to resolutions month
.
6) Organize a symposium for a meeting: This may fall off but I have an idea that I need to toss around with some people first.
Family:
7) Sunday Dinners: Aside from Easter - this fell of as well this month.
8) Spend one on one time with each child, each month: S and I went out to lunch this month and purchased Easter Dinner. Unfortunately, X had his day cancelled with Mom because of a grave offense.
Other
9) Begin writing a novel: I have the idea - just need to start developing the characters more..
10) Blog at least once a week: Maybe May will be good for this also.
11) Read 13 Non-fiction books this year: I have a number of books on hand so this should be easy this month.
That is all for now, see you next month after the austerity month is over
.
No comments:
Post a Comment