Wednesday, February 2, 2011

2011 Resolution Roundup #1

I'll admit I've been a horrible blogger as of late, I've been way too busy writing other things for work and I now have a backlog of papers I'm still working on. This month I finished a book chapter and a grant, plus am reworking a GWAS paper that went from 550K SNPs to 1 Million, so wading through those results, teaching myself how to code in R, how to annotate SNPs with genes within distance, pathway analysis and trying to figure out different NCBI websites communicate with each other has kept busy at work. Needless to say, haven't much time to do anything else. Hopefully, this month I will find more time to blog - I would like to start a series on genetic association analysis and its interpretation or lack thereof, depending on your view point. Anyway, here is my pathetic attempt at my resolutions this year.

Personal Fitness
1) Do P90X at least once this year: Haven't started good thing I was born in August.

2) Learn to Jog: Perhaps if a bear was chasing me.

Finance
3) Go to a cash-based only system for at least 3 months out of the year: Need to figure out a good couple months to do this, probably later on in the year.

4) Don't eat out for at least 3 months of the year: I have narrowed this down to May, June, and possibly October - no birthdays, events, conferences, etc. in this months.

Professional
5) Publish an article from my Ph.D. dissertation: Considering the article from my Masters thesis is starting to get cited some, this may be a good time for this - does anyone have any spare time though.

6) Organize a symposium for a meeting: This is way far back on the burner.

Family:
7) Sunday Dinners: This has been the most successful of the resolutions so far, the boys love it, enough for S to desire to wear ties to home school every day. They kind of like the pageantry and I like the wine. Also, so we have been experimenting with different dishes - so far we have tried Korean and Ethiopian.

8) Spend one on one time with each child, each month: I've been playing with each child. X is currently obsessed with Harry Potter - we are on book five, S still likes building hot wheels race tracks with his train set, some of which are quite involved, L looooveees babies and dolls although I'm not sure she differentiates between the two, and C likes pretending to be a rock star, but I am somewhat apprehensive about being either the drummer or the over-bearing parent manager.

Other
9) Begin writing a novel: The idea sits in my head, eating at the edges, daring me to let it out.

10) Blog at least once a week: Epic blogger fail. yet I have ideas, so maybe I will implement a few of them.

11) Read 13 Non-fiction books this year: I'm still working way the Darwin epic but want to finish the 1st one by his birthday on Feb 12th for a blog post. 

No comments: