Tuesday, May 5, 2009

PD: Day 52 - "Not Every Meal needs sauce on it."

I went to work this morning and still no PC. So I spent most of the morning working on some stuff longituinal data stuff and looking up articles on heart rate for the abstract to get an idea of what to write. Interstingly, heart rate is one of those things that is common and an indpendent predictor of heart disease but not much is known about the genetics.

I have also been spending a good deal of time reading articles related to bivariate linkage analysis so that I can understand the math involved. The basic premise in this is that human adaptation is mixture of genetic and environment for complex genes. Until recently (early 1990s) the computation of these interaction has been difficult and time consuming but now they are becoming more and more important.

In the afternoon, I head home to do some work. I get distracted and work mostly on the Y-Chibchan article. I want to add some populations but it would appear that there is something going with some of the groups I'm adding as they appear as outliers in the MDS plot. This may mean that they are different or something else is amiss.

At dinner we have a split pea, curry potato dish that is good. I mention that it could use some sauce. We are big on the sauces, however J took some umbrage to this and suggest that not every meal needs sauce. Of course they do, I think. After dinner J goes for her walk and then comes home to take her bath and X hops in after. We are in a severe draught in south Texas so we are trying to conserve water. Then off to bed.

No comments: