Thursday, April 16, 2009

Postdoc Diary - Day 33 - Hawaii

Woke up around the usual time and did the usual morning routine. Although the best part was when all six of us were on the love seat - the dogs had claimed the couch. There are always little moments that amaze me and I feel incredibly happy. Truly the little things sometimes matter the most. Then off to work to do the work thing.

1. Discussion and Conclusion (mtDNA)
2. References (mtDNA)
3. Chrm 9 Hrt Rate
  • SNP effnum -
  • # of genes,
  • #transcripts,
  • correlation
4. MAPP data
  • Run bivariate screens (16 variables)
  • Run trivariate on Visits 1 and 3 and differences (25 variables)
5. Clean Home office
6. Bilirubin paper edits.

Get to work, send an e-mail off about the polygenic screens and heritability of change phenotypes. Then went to work on the effnum of snps - this takes a little time as I have to create a map for each gene then edit the map file. A lengthy description would be necessary at this point and my brain isn't functioning. In the afternoon, my officemate came by and mentioned that we have to attend two conferences in Hawaii. Great, J is going to be jealous and I have to figure out way to come up with the $$ for the plane ticket. Granted I get reimbursed but I don't want to use a credit card. Grr, will have to figure this out the conferences aren't until October so I have some time to figure this out. After work get ready and head home.

It has been kind of rainy, so J doesn't go for her walk. I give C her bath and put X's laundry away. After that J comes up and folds C and S's laundry. We can't find S's Star Wars shirt - uh oh nerd alert. I get the kids to sleep right around their normal time. Then J and I have a little alone time. After that head downstairs and watch TV. Like most Americans I get most of my news from the Daily Show as opposed to the 30 second sound bites on Fox, CNN or MSNBC, plus its fun to see how actually ignornant my fellow countymen are. We don't like taxes but we need a strong military and pothole free roads, I love the hypocrisy and Obama is not Hitler - dumbasses, no where in his rhetoric has he called for the elimantion of people's who's politcial IQ falls below 75, however warranted it may be. I may disagree with No Drama on certain tax issues but so far he had done a tremendous job straightening out this country and it is refreshing to be thought of as just naive and not evil again by the rest of the world. A commerical comes on for Encyte - a natural male enhancement product and I briefly consider getting it. Then I remember I have four kids, so that is not really a problem. Then off to bed for the night.

No comments: