Friday, April 10, 2009

Postdoc Diary: Day 27 - TGIF

I slept on the couch all night. X came down at some point and then the dogs came down and wanted to go out so I got up around 6:30. Then J came down with L and we had our morning cup of java. After that shower and head out the door to work. I get there a little after 8 and my officemate is already there. Holy cow, a new record, however he is kind of grumpy from getting there so early. Here is today's to do list.
1. Discussion and Conclusion (mtDNA)
2. References (mtDNA)
3. Chrm 9 Hrt Rate
  • Run QTLD (AZ, All)
  • SNP LD by gene for OK
  • Fix stuff from yesterday
4. MAPP data
  • Run polygenic screen on remaining sixteen variables
  • Run bivariate on remaining sixteen variables
  • Run trivariate on Visits 1 and 3 and differences
5. Clean Home office
6. Send mail (car, KU)

I get to work on fixing the stuff that got messed up yesterday. First I need to modify the snp.map file so the program will start off where it left off. This is pretty easy. Get that in, start over. Nope that didn't fix it - then I think I need to go back a step. Try that - no I still have zombie SNPs. After fiddling with this for the most of the morning I figure I need to go back an extra step. Bingo that works, par excellence. So that is done. I also do the mail thing and get that off the list. Then lunch.

After lunch I fiddle with the trivariate stuff. Get that working. I also get involved in a flurry of e-mail regarding some other things. Although I'm not directly involved it is kind of interesting. Also, need to fix some stuff in the bilirubin manuscript so that can get out. However, that will be the job of the co-authors. Then it is around 5, so I head home. J has asked me to stop by the ubiquitiuous Wal-Greens (how many prescritpion drug stores does one town need?), to pick up a movie at Red Box. This is my first time with the funky vending machine that spits out movies instead of sugary snacks and soda. We want either Slumdog Millionaire or The Day the Earth Stood Still, which it has neither so settle on Australia. Head home, have dinner Broccoli-Cheddar Ale soup. The Sam Adams Scottish Ball Ale isn't that bad in the soup, but I wouldn't drink it again. Then J goes for her walk with C and L, and I give X his bath and S jumps in. Then story time. C is asleep when J comes home, so the rest of us watch Australia, which is a good movie about the stolen generation - these were mixed aboriginal children who were taken by the authorities from their mothers to live in missions. A good movie, the acting was good, the plot was good - a little long, you cared for the characters. Actually two movies in one. That and I have always wanted to go Darwin. After that sleepy time for the parental units, maybe I'll get to sleep in.

No comments: