Friday, March 27, 2009

Life of a Postdoc (Day 13)

Wake up around the new normal time, 5:30 AM. This is actually good but I putz around too much in the morning. I need to start getting ready or exercising or something. J has retreated to the couch earlier so I head down with L for her pre-breakfast snack. Then lie down with J and fall asleep until 6:30 when S comes down. Turn on the obligatory TV channels, check e-mail, the news. SA is fairly boring, which has both its up and downs but at least its not like Kansas City with its high crime rate and inordinate amount of serial killers. Head upstairs, shower, get ready for work. pack the lunch, kiss the wife, kids, and dogs - then off to work for me. Here is today's to do list - write, write, write is the mantra for today but get through results - then I will probably redo them but hey we will see.

1. Results (mtDNA)
  • Population Statistics
  • Phylogenetic Analysis
  • Population Structure
2. Discussion and Conclusion (mtDNA)
3. References (mtDNA)
4. Trim the Hedge
5. Find Bindery for dissertation in S.A.
6. Chrm 9 Hrt Rate
  • Run QTLD (DK, AZ, OK, All)
7. MAPP data
  • Run polygenic screen on remaining sixteen variables
  • Run bivariate on remaining sixteen variables
8. Haircut

I check on the QTLD process and everything is running smoothly. This will probably run over the weekend and be finished on Monday. This means I can focus on the paper. I finish the population structure task but I've noticed some things are out of whack in the results so I fix those. This takes until about lunch time. I need a break so I head out Lowe's to see about gardening stuff - do people work here. I'm not sure but I check out fruit trees and lumber. We need to build a raised garden plot because the soil stinks in Tejas del sur. Head back and start writing again. Chat with the officemate about the KU game tonight - will they choke or will they make it promising - can't let Missoui get farther in the tournment the Jayhawks. I finish off the results section - awesome. I've almost got this one done. Then three left but the one I'm co-author on is almost done as well. So two - hopefully one of these other two research project will work out. I head out to get my haircut - I'm starting to look homless so that is not cool. I go to Supercuts - man this took forever and my ex-East LA gangster hairdresser is obviously not used to cutting gringo hair. I look like a rooster - finally done head home.

Get home a lot later than I anticpated - the kids have already eaten. I chow down quickly so J can eat. I take X and the other kids up to bathe. The get everybody ready. We come down and watch the KU game. The first half is good - they play like they might win. The second half not so much as they regress to the team they were at the beginning of the year with only Collins willing to take shots. They lose, oh well looks like the rest of my weekend is free. Head upstairs and go to sleep.

No comments: