This is one of those situations where you have to wonder what is really going on. As mentioned in the article the US has offered assistance but the Panamanian government has refused.Word of a problem 1st got out in mid-September [2007] when local officials contacted the Health Ministry and then, alarmed by what they considered a lackadaisical response, took their story to the news media.
On [23 Sep 2007] Gladys Guerrero, the ministry's director of epidemiology, denied to a reporter for the tabloid El Siglo that there was any viral or bacterial pathogen at work, attributing the problem to complications of rainy season colds that are common in the area, especially because of its poor sanitary conditions.
Guerrero also said that local claims at the time of 10 deaths since late August [2007] were exaggerated. Within 5 days, Ngobe officials were reporting 40 deaths and many more sick. The La Prensa newspaper has reported that more than 30 children from Nurum are being treated in various hospitals around the country.
Friday, October 5, 2007
UNDIAGNOSED DEATHS, CHILDREN - PANAMA (NGOBE-BUGLE):
Promed (this is a great site for anyone interested in infectious diseases for any species in the world) has an interesting piece on an unknown outbreak (up to 42 deaths so far) in a respiratory infection in Panamanian children (available here). The Ngobe (also known as Guyami)/Bugle are Chibchan speaking groups and one of the largest in the region as they span both Panama and Costa Rican borders. This is one of those stories you won't read about in mainstream media as it is occuring in a developing country. Here is some of the problem as stated in the article
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hello,
I'm oonagh Ryan-King, a US (independent Anglican/Episcopalian priest) living in Bocas. A friend of mine and I have been seriously talking about trying to open a hospice house.
Most of my life's work (and play) has been with the GLBT community. I volunteer for UNAIDS and AHMNP, Panama's gay rights organisatioon); we do teaching and HIV testing, etc. I travel with no less than 500 condoms all the time. I learned "be prepared" as a girl scout; I don't know if this expression translates culturally here in Panama.
The other interest,work, life-stuff here is with the Ngobe. In fact if. NO WHEN, this hospice and Village opens its doors, we'll be opening the door in the cool and foggies, like Volcan, Boquete area etc.
The hospice will serve children as well as adults; of course we want, especially want, to serve those with HIV-related illness.
First of all, I'd like to ask why the Panamanian government refuses the US assistance with the Ngobe. Is this Panama's ugly racism to First Peoples?
Also, I'd like to know the numbers of cancer deaths and the deaths from any other terminal illnesses. Where would I find this info?
Thanks
oonagh+
I'm not sure why thePanamanian government refused assistance. They seem to be downplaying it as more of flu virus and due to poor living conditions in the community.
Here is a pretty good site for Mortality stats for Panama, pretty comprehensive as well.
http://www.nationmaster.com/red/country/pm-panama/mor-mortality&all=1
Post a Comment