Friday, September 21, 2007

P365 D30: Geek Alert

One of my favorite quotes from the LOTR movies (that's Lord of the Rings for you novices) is when Frodo quotes Bilbo's advice. "Be careful stepping out your front door, Frodo, you never know where your feet might take you". As I get ready to go out into the field in less than two weeks, I'm constantly reminded of that quote.

The two pictures below kind of give you a hint of what is to come. The first shows the park across the street from my front door, full of various types of football players. However, when I look out I see the second picture. This is where I'm going to do fieldwork, Rama Cay, Nicaragua. This is a small island about three hours by boat from Bluefields and home to the Rama Indians. The latter picture was taken by colleague who visited the area in July to determine the logistics of the operation. The Caribbean side of Nicaragua is extremely isolated from the rest of the country and effectively an autonomous region with government officials showing up when there is a hurricane or an election. I'm definitely getting excited about going and will keep filling in details as I go along.

No comments: