So today, I'm sick so if this a incoherent post, it is because my immune system capitulated.
In case you were hiding in a dark cave or are over 50 - Ozzy Osbourne had is whole genome sequenced. This seems to be a growing trend with celebrities and I'm sure we will soon see many more.
So the big pitch is that Ozzy is part Neanderthal and immune to alcohol- apparently, which is simply not true - he is European so he has some archaic DNA sequences that are shared with Neanderthals and modern humans. To make the argument that he is Neanderthal is a little misguided - especially when your sample size is 1. I'm not against him or anyone being Neanderthal, I just get upset at making grandiose claims with no real scientific basis to support or back it up. The second major point is the alcohol and that Ozzie has a rare variant near the gene for alcohol dehydrogenase (ALDH4A1) variant on chromosome 1. However, to state this - without functional studies is completely misguided and just wrong. As Chuck D says "Don't Believe the Hype".
No comments:
Post a Comment