1) Volunteer: I donated blood again - this time they called me as I have a rare blood type (B-) and so I'm popular with the blood bank here in San Antonio. It doesn't take too long and hopefully it is going to a good cause and not just popular with vampires (Watched way too many vampire TV shows this year).
2) Pay down debt: We continue to get better at this, but the whole house thing in KS isn't helping very much.
3) Read four books a month: Once again I made it through three books - only two of which I remember, so you can probably not read the third one as it obviously isn't highly recommended by my brain. The first book was The Shotgun Rule by Charlie Huston, whom I have to admit is a guilty pleasure to read, very quick reads like a comic book but in way like you have heard the story already. The second book I remember was Where the River Runs North by Sam Morton, this a book about the history of Absoraka (refers to the name of the Crow Indians - which directly translate to black bird in their language and so they were referred to as Crow by European settlers) region between Sheridan, Wyoming and Miles City, Montana. One of my older brothers lives in Miles City so he sent me a signed copy last Christmas. The first portion of the book was a good read/review about the Indian Wars in the region (The 1868 Fort Laramie treaty with Red Cloud is the only formal surrender the US signed with the Indians and that didn't work out very well). The description of political infighting between Crazy Horse and Red Cloud offered some insight into tribal affairs of the Lakota as well. My wife will attest to at some point driving through Wyoming and Montana turns into a history lesson as I will spout interesting facts about different places. The history of the horse herds of the region - as the region is well known for breeding Polo horses was interesting as well but at some point the book devolved into a historical social calendar and wasn't quite as good as hoped. If you remember the third book let me know as it is driving me nuts
4) Publish: This has been one of the more successful of my resolutions this year. I have three articles published, one in revision, and one I'm co-author on submitted. Here is the list of published articles and where you can find them.
Melton PE, MJ Mosher, R. Rubicz, M. Zlojutro, and MH Crawford (2010) Mitochondrial DNA diversity in Mennonites from the Midwestern United States. Human Biology. June: 82(3) 267-289. Abstract | PDF - This is also available as open access from Human Biology.
Rubicz R, PE Melton, G Sun, V Spitsyn, R Deka, and MH Crawford (2010) Genetic Structure of Native Circumpolar Populations Based on Autosomal, Mitochondrial and Y Chromosome DNA MarkersAmerican Journal of Physical Anthropology. 143:62-74. Abstract
Melton PE, S Rutherford, VS Voruganti, HHH Göring, S Laston, K Haack, AG Comuzzie, JE Curran,M Johnson, E Moses, TD Dyer, J Blangero, ET Lee, LG Best, RR Fabsitz, RB Devereux, PM Okin, J Bella, U Broeckel, BV Howard, JW MacCluer, SA Cole, LA Almasy. (2010) Bivariate genetic association of KIAA1797 with heart rate in American Indians: The Strong Heart Family Study. Human Mol. Genet. 19(18): 3662-3671. Abstract | PDFThis next month I hope to have two more submitted and then I need to get a short paper done for the Genetic Analysis Workshop on environmental regression and genetic signal optimization.
5) Clean the Garage: This was a successful resolution but now it needs to be finished or revisited and the X-mas decor must go up before it comes down in a couple of months. Or perhaps we could just be one of those families that keeps them up all year.
6) Get Maintenance done on the cars: We need to get new tires for the minivan and fix the leaking power steering fluid hose, plus probably some work on the brakes. Truthfully, we need a suburban.
7) Catch up on a boatload of TV shows, mostly beginning with B:We have pretty much stalled on this, halfway through Angel Season 3 as I'm not sure I can take this anymore. I have been watching Friday Night Lights while J goes and tutor/edits, etc. at night. However, I'm not sure if I like it or not - although I'm streaming it on Netflix though
8) Do a 365 walk project: This is on and off as I walk sometimes - see #9
9) Learn to meditate: Need to return to waking early - now that summer is over time to get in gear.
10) No computer after 6 pm: Does streaming movies from Netflix count.
See you next month
No comments:
Post a Comment