June has rushed by and it seems just like the other day it started.
1) Volunteer: I donated blood again, I think this was my 6th time. Good news is my cholesterol is way down to 193 - which is below the 200 limit. I do find it interesting how much it fluctuates though.
2) Pay down debt: See last month - we continue to pay it down.
3) Read four books a month: This month I made it through two books. The first of these books was Perdido Street Station by China Mieville and this book was Awesome, probably one of the best sci-fi books I have read in a long time. It was kind of like reading a book by David Lynch interpreting Hieronymus Bosch paintings. The world is so original in it scope and it's though plus some pretty freaking sentient beings that will make your skin crawl. I would highly recommend this to anyone into hardcore sci-fi. However, the book is long and it takes a while to get into the kind of Dickensian language the book is written in. The second book, Stettin Station by David Downing, which is the third in the John Russell series, has our protagonist navigating WWII Berlin just prior to the US entering the war.
4) Publish: At this point I have three articles in press this year (2 1st author, 1 co-author). The Mennonite mtDNA Human Biology paper can be downloaded free here and is still kind of in press but it has its official biblio info. The Aleut genetic structure article is in the process of going to print but you can view the abstract here. The third article was just accepted and is entitled "Bivariate genetic association of KIAA1797 with heart rate in American Indians: The Strong Heart Family Study". This paper describes 2000 SNPs on chromosome 9p21 in 3 American Indian communities and finds a gene associated with heart rate using a somewhat novel statistical techniques that allows you to take two measures of the same phenotype and perform a bivariate analysis on a specific locus - in this case a SNP. This article is forthcoming and will be published in Human Molecular Genetics. I have another article that I have to revise and hopefully I will submit two more this month. I also have two abstracts out for meetings this fall. So this year has been successful as far as this resolution goes.
5) Clean the Garage: Success (see photo evidence below). This is largely due to Supermom's prodding and efficient planning skills. Of course this picture was taken right before a boat load of X-mas decorations showed up from Kansas.
6) Get Maintenance done on the cars: Not much to report on this month.
7) Catch up on a boatload of TV shows, mostly beginning with B: We finished off Battlestar Galactica this month, which were just OK - I actually preferred the earlier seasons of the show.
8) Do a 365 walk project: I do this some days but not others. I need to be more consistent. It is kind of fun watching L walk with to the Leslie Sanson walk videos.
9) Learn to meditate: I returned to coffee but need to get back to meditating in the morning. The solace does wonders but the sticky heat makes it hard to sleep.
10) No computer after 6 pm: nope.
No comments:
Post a Comment