Saturday, May 1, 2010

2010 Resolution Roundup - April

Is it just me or did April seem to take for ever this year. For a short month it seems that it was worth about two. We had our second SA visitor, g-ma, who came to visit and help out supermom while I was away in New Mexico at a conference. I gave two poster presentation, one of which was well received and another that was somewhat ignored. Probably, because I spent six years in grad school prattling on about it. Anyway, here is the list.

1) Volunteer: I donated blood so it does count as some form of volunteering. I have a rare blood type so it is always good to know they have a supply on hand in case I need it.

2) Pay down debt: This continues to go down and hopefully one day, it will be finished. At least we are not taking on additional debt, which is good.

3) Read four books a month: This month I made it through three, all by the same author, Philip Kerr. He is more well known for writing childrens books but he also writes a series of detective noir novel about a German P.I. both before and after WWII. In these books the main character is generally thrown into encounters with famous individuals. The book The One from the Other, Bernie Gunter gets caught up in a case about a missing Nazi SS officer wanted for war crimes, later gets framed for it, then has to flee to Argentina. The second book The Quiet Flame, focuses on Peron's Argentina and a number of prominent Nazis, who escaped to the country after WWII. The third book, If the Dead Rise Not has Bernie, in Cuba meeting an old nemesis from his pre-war life. All in all, good quick reads, there are a few surprises hear and there.

4) Publish: So the status of this is: two are pretty much out, one with revisions has been resubmitted, another has been submitted, one is almost ready to submit and three to four more in prep. This month I hope to get a couple of these written and out to co-authors. Check out my website for updates and links to the published papers.

5) Clean the Garage: Our garage seem to be miraculous in its ability to attract crap. I clean it and new stuff shows up.

6) Get Maintenance done on the cars: Routine maintenance on the minivan and then get the new tags for the XL-7 are what is in order this month.

7) Catch up on a boatload of TV shows, mostly beginning with B: We made it through three seasons of shows this month. Buffy seasons six and seven plus Battelstar Galacta seaon 1. Buffy was worth watching but how vampires become proficient martial art experts still eludes me. BSG is really good much better than the campy show from the 70s, although the lack of the robot dog still upsets my seven year inner self.

8) Do a 365 walk project: I'm seem to fallen off the wagon here as travel interrupted the plan. This is off an on, since I got sick. The goal is to wake up walk, then have tea and meditate, then read for 30 minutes then head off to work by 8:00 or earlier. I hope to have this plan instituted starting this month. BTW my cholesterol is up to 214 so this may become imperative.

9) Learn to meditate:You would think sitting still and breathing wouldn't be so frickin hard. Maybe it is because of my type A personality.

10) No computer after 6 pm: We've adopted a don't ask, don't tell policy about this one.

No comments: