Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Wine Wednesday

A little while ago (OK six years), Supermom suggested I start a hobby - so I said I would start learning about wine and ever since then I have been a somewhat serious wine drinker (although it comes and goes, usually with income). We joined a wine club (twice) and also Supermom, runs tastings through a specialty winery in California (you can visit it here, www.timeoutwine.com buy wine from her, it mostly good stuff). Supermom is excellent at pairing wines with various foods - she has a better palette than I do.

So I thought I would have Wine Wednesdays (granted I drink it on Tuesdays so I can post it). I also might have Whine Wednesdays as well, so you don't think I drink too much.

Anyway, first up is a Frisch 2009 Gewurztraminer

Gewürztraminer is a German white grape (sometimes called the spicy grape) and these wines tend to be a little drier than Rieslings, which can run the gamut from dry to sweet. This wine was excellent chilled, and would be good for a hot summer day or with spicy food. Also, it wasn't overly fruity although the description has it has
This 2009 Frisch California Gewürztraminer has aromas of lychee fruit, fresh-cut flowers and pineapple with hints of cinnamon, poached pear and golden delicious apples. The mouth-feel is medium weight and smooth with round fruit flavors and balanced acidity. The finish is sweet and fruity with lingering floral notes. Enjoy this wine with Indian food, jerk chicken, guacamole or mild cheeses such as mozzarella.
I got more of a pear taste from it, but it is very low in acidity and if you are not careful you can drink the whole bottle fairly quickly. Anway, I would gives this probably 3.95 out of 5 stars as it is good and I would drink it again but it didn't completely knock my socks off.

No comments: