Saturday, April 24, 2010

Fiesta Friday (yes I know it is Saturday).

OK this is only an annual event at this blog, each year for about 15 days, San Antonio stops for Fiesta. This holiday is basically a celebration of Texas independence. This events culminates with a huge Parade on the final Friday - the Battle of Flowers. Basically, there is about 500,000 people who watch the parade (for a point of reference this is the entire population of Albuquerque, New Mexico - thanks to the cabbie for that bit of info). The point being that the parade is huge. This means we get the day off as traffic can be a bit of an issue.



So rather attend a mass crush of people S and I took off and went to eat at McDonald's (it has a play structure) and go see Avatar. Over lunch S and I discussed the case of the missing Chubacabra. His answer "I would never fall for that, I'm so tired of people passing hairless dogs off as Chubacabra, I mean everyone knows their 12 ft tall, hairy, with green eyes"



We then took off and saw Avatar, which from a visual perspective is an awesome movie, however plot wise and from a anthropological perspective was a little too "Noble Savage". I also found it to be a mash up between Larry Niven Integral Trees and John Varley's Gaea Trilogy. Of course S being only six loved it, even it was a little long.

No comments: