A View from the room at Turtle Bay Resort, where IGES was held (very cool conference). I presented a poster on fine mapping of the Hepatic Lipase gene, which is involved in HDL-cholesterol metabolism. I also gave a poster at ASHG on a potential gene involved in Heart Rate located on chromosome 9p21 (which is a very interesting genomic region that appears to be heavily involved in heart disease).
Cordy went dressed as an orange witch - J made the tutu and all cool witches were Chucks.
X went as the ninja assassin - he still hasn't put the sword down - even though he did almost poke my eye out with it while playing a rousing game of pirates on the bed.
S went as a fluffy dog for the second year running, we've gotten a lot of mileage out of this costume that was given to us by J's bro and sis-in-law.Anyway here are is the resolution roundup for the last month.
- Volunteer - This remains a pipe dream and will probably get carried over into next year.
- Pay down debt - Similar to last month - we are still trying to get back on track. We are also trying to sell the house in KS - so anyone moving to Lawrence - let us know.
- Be a more patient father - I'm still working on this but I need to get back into a more structured groove. The fam is out of sync due to a number of things - adjusting to a single car and Spencer's school schedule makes it somewhat difficult to maintain some flexibility in the schedule but we are working one it.
- Read two books a month - Once again I read three books this month and once again all by Steve Berry (see below). Now only one more novel and I will be done. This month it was pretty much a tie between the Third Secret and the Romanov prophecies as far my favorite goes. However they are all good. Next month I will probably return to more of a pulp noir phase or at least until I get my hands on the upcoming Steve Berry book or Dan Brown's new novel.
- Publish, Publish, Publish - Here is the status of this right now. I'm working on three revisions and one is out for review. Then I have two more I'm drafting right now. However, I plan to tone this down a little bit and get some quality manuscripts out in the next year as well as right more grants (which I should be doing right now).
- Be a more substantive blogger - One day I will return to blogging when life is less chaotic and I invent a time-stand-still machine.
- Take a vacation - Hawaii was a success and I will go back with the family, when the kids are older so they can remember it. Next years looks to a busy travel year with trips to KS, NM, DC, and MA in the works so very busy and productive time.
- Find a hobby - Is navel staring a hobby, do I have time - maybe I should just read comics. The garden is back up with some new food (broccoli) as the weather has morphed into extremely pleasant - no wonder I like Texas
- Spend one on one time with my kids every week - We've got the bedtime routine down and I enjoy reading to them - now if I could stay awake past 8:30 I would be doing good as well and maybe I could have a conversation with J. The boys are addicted to PBS kids online games - it is amazing how well they can navigate that site. Now when the sugar high breaks down hopefully they will be a little less crazy.
1 comment:
When you invent your time-stand-still machine, make one for me, too!
Post a Comment