Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Year 1 of the Postdoc: Day 17: Ennui

Woke up around 6:30 and turned on the brain sucker. Ended up watching Vh1, which was obviously on some gay club going male kick. I really think this is Britney Spears audience is, I mean who is going to let their kids listen to a song called "If you seek Amy" - say it really fast and then google it - you will catch the drift of the song really quick. Just want my daughters to aspire too. Ok enough with that, actually had b-fast today - toads in a hole - yum. Then its time to take off for work. I need gas, so I stop by the local gas station for the montly fill-up. I don't drive that often and work isn't that far. This is nice and gas prices aren't out of control anymore. Although, I'm not against that because it forces us to think how we consume and to moderate that. Also, most western cities have shitty public transportation, even though they are sprawled out like a mini-mall puke pile. So it would behoove them to improve that rather than invest in hot wheels tracks known as the interstate system.

1. Discussion and Conclusion (mtDNA)
2. References (mtDNA)
3. Find Bindery for dissertation in S.A.
4. Chrm 9 Hrt Rate
  • Run QTLD (AZ, All)
  • SNP LD for DK-OK
5. MAPP data
  • Run polygenic screen on remaining sixteen variables
  • Run bivariate on remaining sixteen variables
  • Run bivariate on Visits 1 and 3
6. Hook up TV and DVD in master bedroom
7. Student Loan info for LRP

I check on the hrt rate qtld stuff and it is still running. Sometimes it is amazing how slow this stuff will go but that is the breaks, also there are a lot of internal loops in the pedigrees so it takes time, especially in the combined sample. I start running the polygenic screens and then realize I've made an error. Do not run two things in the same Solar directory as it will spit out spurious results - shiza. At this point I'm somewhat unmotivated to continue working on that as I have a linkage I'm running in the same directory on PON (Paraoxonase), which is an enzyme associated with lipids and cardiovascular disease. I think about writing but just can't get the bug. I always get stuck writing the discussion. I have no idea why. I should probably just write and then re-write. I look over a few things for a grad student from KU, who asked me to look at his poster. I'm actually kind of bummed I'm not going to Chicago for the meetings but oh well. C'est la vi. I look into the student loan stuff. I've been warned by NIH that if I make it through the first round of LRP grant applications I will need a host of documentation, promissary notes, etc. So I go to the motherload website (here) to get all the information I need. Print that out. Talk to my officemate about what the heck are we going to talk about now that college basketball season is over. Probably statistics or 16th century dutch impressionistic paintings.

I head home where J is trying to deal with a very fussy L. She has been up all day and the other kids don't really let her sleep. After dinner, an absolutely amazing quiche and salad. J heads out to get S some clothes. These kids never stop growing or wanting to drink milk - does someone have a spare cow. I bathe X, give the baby a bottle J pumped before leaving. Then its back downstairs. There is a doc on the Pleistocene extinction on Nova, which keeps X and S occupied, while I get C to sleep. Then J comes home and the boys rip through the stuff she bought until they fine she got them Star Wars shirt. S has wanted a Yoda shirt and X favors Darth Vader - he apparently has soft spot for bad guys and even more so for bad girls (he is in love with Kat Vondee). After that J and I watch the 100 greatest 1 hit one -wonders of the 1980s. My fave so far is General Publics Tenderness. Great video. After the bottom 40, we head off to bed.

No comments: