Thursday, March 19, 2009

A week in the life (Day 5)

Normal start to today. Got up around 6:30 and took L downstairs. Did the normal switch between the Today show and Vh1. Where the heck is Matt Lauer, probably off interviewing Tom Cruise on something. Oh God Jim Cramer again, Can NBC just get over it. Yes, the media is culpable in the whole financial downturn because they obviously did nothing to report it. Granted someone should go after Flip that House, because that was just as dumb as anything on CNBC. OK enough ranting and the coffee buzz has warn off. I'm dead tired today. Off too work. Here is todays list.

1. Materials and Methods (mtDNA)
  • Interpopulation
  • Intrapopulation
2. M.A.P.P. Data
  • Differences in other weights
  • I-CAMM w/ and w/o z-scores
3. Results (mtDNA)
4. Discussion and Conclusion (mtDNA)
5. References (mtDNA)
6. Fix tailights on XL-7
7. Trim the Hedge
8. Find Bindery for dissertation in S.A.
9. Chrm 9 Hrt Rate
  • Concatenate infer tables
  • Run Polygenic screen on hrtrate
  • Run SNP covar
10. Send e-mail to co-authors that the bilirubin manuscript has been submitted.

Yeah, today is payday. Wow, we got Whattaburger coupons with our paycheck stubs. I have no idea what Whattaburger is/are. I went there once when I first moved here and was what this is a burger, no way. It's official I have now made more money so far this year then I did all of last year. There is life after grad school and student loans to repay! Years of slave labor have hopefully finally paid off. OK enough bitching. It's tournament time and as usual I'm not doing so good (frickin LSU Tigers). So much for that idea of paying for the kids college tuition. I broke down and had coffee - too tired and needed the extra java kick to get me going.

Let's see this morning I knocked number 10 off my list, and got most of the way through 2B. So first off what is ICAM anyway. So ICAM-1 is a protein of a gene that is involved in intracellular adhesion. Within in the confined of cardiovascular disease ICAM is associated with insulin resistance, type 2 diabetes, and other biological processes that are associated with atherosclerosis. Here is a good free article on the subject. So as I mentioned earlier what I'm interested in is whether or not change in this variable is hertiable above 0.35, do a bivariate linkage with this change variable and the orignial ICAM variable, and then run linkage analysis on it to see if the change QTL is in the same place as the ICAM QTL. So why run it with z-scores. Well z-scores are a way of taking two or more variables with different means and standard deviations and standardizing them so they are more easily comparable. In this case it would appear we have two different assay techniques that were used to measure ICAM and so the values might be different. So I want to run both to see if there are significant differences between the z-score and non-z score data. So that is what I spent my morning doing. I was also able to knock number 9a off the list as well. I ate my lunch and watched basketball on CBS Sportsline. At least the on-line TV is no longer like a Rorschach test. Man 1 for 3 in the morning games.

After lunch I was able to finish all of number 2 and start to get 9b ready to go but that took awhile. Also, e-mailed back and forth with J regarding a number of fun things to do with the kids. It is also movie night with me and her. I think Pitch Black is what were going to watch. Nothing like a Sci-Fi thriller on a Thursday night. The kids got Space Chimps from Netflix so they are excited as all h-e-double hockey sticks. In my spare time between games I was able to check these two things out.

1. Genetic continuity after the collapse of the Wari empire: Mitochondrial DNA profiles from Wari and post-Wari populations in the ancient Andes - American Journal of Physical Anthropology

2. Scientists Discover Why A Low GI Meal Makes You Feel Full - via Science Daily

Speaking of GI, I need to stop off and get skittles on the way home for the snack mix. So I stopped of at the local Wal-greens on the way home. There literally a pharmacy on every block in this town. Tomorrow is J and I's 5th anniversary - so I need to buy her something related to wood and a card as well. So I'm thinking pine scented candle but nope none of that here so I opt for the Sandalwood - Vanilla one and a sentimental card. Generally, we don't buy each gifts for our anniversary we go out for dinner but I'm thinking it would be sweet suprise and I kept it under $10 - so econmial. Get home and J has made a fabulous dinner of salmon and rice with a creamy Hungarian Dill sauce. We had hope to watching a movie but no go - S is not going to sleep so I watch the NCAA tournament instead - there go the Illini - Western Kentucy has done it to me again. Anyway, Spence eventually goes to sleep and I head upstairs. Now L is up so back down I go, we watch a little news and some history channel. Around 12 I head back up and go to sleep.

No comments: