Last year I started off the blog with 8 resolutions for 2008, so let's recap those.
- Let go of material things - when I wrote this I didn't have in mind that the moving van would be involved in an accident and almost all of our larger items would be destroyed. We are recovering from this as we speak - my aunt and uncle bought us a washer and dryer. I will blog about this later as this is an ongoing process with the moving company.
- Finish my Ph.D. (this is close and the light is getting brighter and brighter) - Mission accomplished. I was able to finish this in the Fall and am now Dr. Phillip. I can also now say, "I'm not that kind of doctor". Also, it helps that it is done, after 8 years it is nice to accomplish this.
- Volunteer - Not so good on this one, as I didn't have time but is something I will work on for 2009 - I hope to set a good example for the kids and encourage them to help out the less fortunate when they are older.
- Exercise daily for 20-30 minutes - I was doing pretty good with this before the move. I was walking both dogs for about 45 minutes. This is something I would like to get back too as it helps me think and one of three things that helps me mentally on a daily basis.
- Take my vitamins daily (multivitamin, B-complex and Omega-3) - I have gotten pretty good at this as I take this most days. This also helps me mentally or at least I have been told this by my significant other.
- Pay down my debt - this is something I need to do this year as I want to get back to my old fiscally conservative self (Jennifer would say tight ass).
- Read something non-anthropologically related every month - I did a good job of this last year. I was able to read a lot of Science Fiction, and some interesting Non-Fiction books. This is the third thing that really helps me mentally, by allowing me to relax and focus on something else at least for a couple of weeks.
- Be a more patient parent - With number four on the way, hopefully I can work more on this. This is another things to be worked on in the new year.
The Nine for 2009 -
Let's start with what we didn't accomplish last year (I'm a stubborn S.O.B.) and then add some new things.- Volunteer
- Pay down debt - don't use a credit card for a year.
- Be a more patient father
- Read two books a month - that is 24 in a year, so it should be doable.
- Publish, Publish, Publish - I hope to publish at least 5 articles this year.
- Be a more substantive blogger - I hope to touch on more scientific, familial, and personal issues this year
- Take a vacation - the last time the family had a vacation was in 2005 to Montana
- Find a hobby - something creative and artsy.
- Spend one on one time with my kids every week - play with them, read to them, buy into their imaginary games.
No comments:
Post a Comment