Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Day 128: Slant by Greg Bear (7/28/2008)

Continuing with the library theme, my latest literary conquest was Slant by Greg Bear. If you haven't notice this Bear is one of my favorite sci-fi authors. Especially as he once signed a book to me Darwin's Children as "To Phil, definitely one of Darwin's Children". As far as this book is concerned I'm not sure if I liked it or not. Once I got half way the pace picked up but prior to that there were way too many characters to keep track of. Also, it was one of those books written at the onset of internet popularity and every one was predicting the future (remember there was actually hope and the economy was booming - oh the joy of a Democratic adminstration). In the end the book was readable but not memorable. I liked the idea of a freaky hyper-conservative Idaho full of crazed gun nuts that was ironically eco-friendly (very real) but there was too much going on and by the time it rapped up I was confused (kind of like this run-on sentence).

No comments: