Both the
BBC and
Reuters have news articles regarding pictures taken by the Brazil government of Amazonian indigenous populations that have not have contact with the outside world. While I can understand the fascination of these pictures, I wonder if this is a good thing for the group itself. They probably are well aware of the outside world and remain xenophobic for a reason. In Peru, where a number of these populations exist there is a law that protects these populations. Also, this summer there will be a symposium on these groups at the
2nd Latin American Symposium in San Jose, Costa Rica this July. There is also a book by Beatriz Huertas entitled
"Indigenous Peoples in Isolation in the Peruvian Amazon, Their Struggle for Survival and Freedom".
I agree with the Brazilian governments assessment that these groups need protection but do you do that by publishing their pictures all over the internet and without their expressed informed consent.

No comments:
Post a Comment